Cook (Part-time) Job Announcement 25 April 2019
Position Title: Cook
Location: American Legion Hopewell Memorial Post 146 - Hopewell, VA
Hourly Wage Range: $7.50 and above depending upon experience and training
Responsible for preparing excellent meals for Post members and their guests. Follows instructions in cooking and delivering well-prepared meals. Must be deft in moving around the kitchen and apt in multi-tasking. The goal is to help preserve and enhance the Post’s reputation for top quality service so we can expand our customer base.
Duties include, but are not limited to preparing meals by weighing, measuring, and mixing ingredients, cooking meals, checking ingredients for freshness, and arranging and garnishing the dishes. Ensure kitchen cleanliness; wash dishes, drinking glasses, eating and cooking utensils, pots, pans, etc. Ensure all kitchen equipment (e.g., grill, oven, cook top burners, etc.) are cleaned and checked after end of shift or the day as required by Health Department sanitation codes.
- Measure and assemble ingredients for menu items
- Check quality of ingredients
- Set up workstation with all needed ingredients and cooking equipment
- Prepare ingredients to use in cooking (chopping and peeling vegetables, cutting meat etc.)
- Cook food in various utensils or grillers and check food while cooking to stir or turn
- Keep a sanitized and orderly environment in the kitchen
- Ensure all food and other items are stored properly
- Monitor stock and place orders when there are shortages; maintain accurate food inventories
- Properly store food items at appropriate temperatures
- Rotate stock items as per established procedures and restock kitchen for subsequent shifts
- Ensure that the food prep area and kitchen are cleaned and sanitized at the end of the shift
Security: Must succerssfully complete a criminal background investigation and be eligible for $50,000 bonding.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED with additional documented culinary/food handling training
- At least three (3) years’ experience in the restaurant industry
- Must have or can obtain ServSafe® Certification.
- Must know, understand and demonstrate how to use various ingredients, cooking techniques and kitchen equipment to quickly and efficiently prepare meals
- Strong knowledge of proper food handling procedures
- Attention to cleanliness and detail in food handling and meal preparation
- Effective communicator; coordinates with other staff members to ensure smooth operations
- Able to read and follow standardized recipes
- Able to work as part of a team in a busy kitchen atmosphere
- Able to multi-task and accurately follow written and/or verbal instruction
Social Quarters Manager Job Announcement 15 Feb 2019
Position Title: Social Quarters Manager
Location: American Legion Hopewell Memorial Post 146 - Hopewell, VA
Salary Range: $30,00.00 – $36,000.00 per year
Serves as Post’s Club Room and Kitchen Working Manager directing all aspects of daily club room, kitchen and facility activities. Develops operating policies and procedures, and directs the work of all club room and kitchen staff. Prepares, implements, and monitors the club room and kitchen budget, monitors the quality of the kitchen’s products and services, and ensures maximum member and guest satisfaction. Oversees authorized gaming activities, including collection/accounting proceeds. Coordinates/administers applicable Post policies as defined and directed by the Post Executive Committee. Secures and protects the club’s assets, including facilities and equipment.
1. Plans and manages daily club room and kitchen operations including planning menus and supervising executing special Post events and private functions. Assures that the club room/kitchen operates in accordance with all applicable local, state and federal laws.
2. Manages and supervises all club room and kitchen employees, including training new employees, setting staff hours and assigning duties and responsibilities. Sets and maintains standards for customer service and evaluating current employees' work habits and performance; ensures employees practice proper technique in their work and, (in coordination with the Post Executive Committee) hires, and at times, fires club room or kitchen employees.
3. Develops and manages club room/kitchen budget including managing inventory and supplies, and accounting for food, beverage, and authorized gaming sales. Reviews income and costs relative to financial objectives; takes corrective action as necessary.
4. Monitors all aspects of facility maintenance, preventive maintenance, facility safety, and facility security. This includes compliance with building and health codes and working with outside vendors and contractors as needed. Investigates and resolves complaints regarding food quality or service.
5. Analyzes financial statements, manages cash flow and establishes controls to safeguard funds; establishes and monitors compliance with purchasing policies and procedures.
6. Provides advice and recommendations to the Executive Committee through the House Committee Chair about construction, alterations, maintenance, materials, supplies, equipment and services, especially those not described or provided in approved plans and/or budgets.
Security: Must successfully complete a criminal background check and be eligible for $50,000 bonding
Education: High School Diploma or GED with Associates Degree or higher in Food Service Management or Culinary Arts desired. At least eight (8) years restaurant, banquet, or food service-related experience. Has or has the ability to obtain Food Safety Manager Certification (preferred) or ServSafe® Certification
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrated management and organizational skills
• Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written
• Ability to supervise subordinate staff, including but not limited to assignment of duties, evaluating service, and taking disciplinary action when necessary
• Ability to prepare and analyze data, figures, and transcriptions prepared on and generated by a computer using Microsoft Office applications (MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) or electronic cash register
• Knowledge of food and alcoholic beverages control and service
• Knowledge of applicable VA ABC and VA Charitable Gaming Board Statues and Regulations.
• Knowledge of food service techniques and cost controls such as manpower, productivity, food cost and other expenses
• Working knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including, but not limited to the following statutes and their comparable state and local laws (where applicable): Title VII, ADEA, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, and NLRA