The American Legion
Hopewell Memorial Post 146
217 E City Point Road - Hopewell, VA 23860
Post 146 Challenge Coin Award Policy
1. Background –
At its August 7, 2018 meeting, the Post 146 Executive Committee approved the purchase and award of challenge coins. At that time, it was decided that the award of challenge coins would be made contingent upon a specific policy which detailed the circumstances by which a person may be eligible to receive a coin.
2. Award Criteria -
a. An American Legion Hopewell Memorial Post 146 Challenge Coin [hereafter identified as the Post 146 Challenge Coin] may only be awarded upon a majority vote of the Executive Committee.
b. A Post 146 Challenge Coin may only be award if one of the following criteria is met:
1. Outstanding Service: Any person of any age may be eligible for award of a Post 146 Challenge Coin based on the performance ofindividual service to others,service in an organization dedicated to the service of others, or service in the Hopewell Community which the Executive Committee deems laudable and worthy of recognition.
2. Individual Act: Any person of any age may be eligible for award of a Post 146 Challenge Coin based on the performance of a heroic or selfless act which the Executive Committee deems laudable and worthy of recognition.
3. Special Achievement: Any person of any age may be eligible for award of a Post 146 Challenge Coin based on academic, athletic, or otherwise unique achievement which the Executive Committee deems laudable and worthy of recognition.
c. Only one coin may be awarded to any person.
d. A Post 146 Challenge Coin may be awarded in conjunction with another award, if appropriate; e.g., scholarship award, law enforcement officer/firefighter of the year, etc.
e. Award of a Post 146 Challenge Coin may be accompanied by an appropriate certificate which describes the reason for the award.
3. Award Requests
- Any current up-to-date member of Post 146 may request a Post Challenge Coin be award to a person or persons who they feel meets the award criteria
- Award requests must be submitted to the Post Executive Committee using the attached Award Request Form.
- Forms may be submitted to any sitting Post officer. Incomplete forms will not be reviewed.
- Recommendations will be considered by the Executive Committee. Decision is by majority vote of the committee.
- The Post Adjutant will record the results of the vote and final action on the award. The form will be retained for historical purposes and log of all those receiving the award kept on file.
4. This policy may be changed, amended or updated at any regular meeting of the Executive Committee. Proposed changes, amendments, or updates must first be presented to the full Executive Committee for review and discussion at least one regular meeting prior to taking a vote on accepting the proposed change, amendment or update.
Award Recommendation Form
Download the form here: /files/Challenge_Coin_Rcmd_Fm_2018.pdf