BARTENDER / SERVER (Part-time) POSITION DESCRIPTION
Position Title: Bartrender / Server
Location: American Legion Hopewell Memorial Post 146 - Hopewell, VA
Hourly Wage Range: $7.50/hr. and above depending upon experience and training
GENERAL: The bartender/server is the face of the Post and responsible for our customers’ experiences. He/she must greet customers, learn about their preferences, answer questions, recommend menu items, prepare and serve alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages and food; sell and pay-out winnings from Commonwealth-approved games of chance, and handle basic housekeeping duties.
OVERALL RESPONSIBILITIES: Presents menus; serves and helps customers select food/beverages. Must possess strong communication skills; can quickly respond to customer requests, give directions, sell, and pay-out winnings for pull-tab and other authorized games of chance, and handle basic cleaning duties. Bartender/servers must be observant, detail-oriented, and courteous while ensuring customers enjoy themselves.
* Act as ABC manager for the Club Room; check identification to ensure customers are the legal age to purchase alcoholic beverages
* Check membership cards; ensure guests are signed-in by active members
* Welcome customers, “read” and listen to people, remember beverage preferences, make recommendations on menu items and drinks, and take customer orders
* Mix and serve drinks using member’s personal spirits; carry food and drinks from kitchen to tables
* Collaborate/coordinate with kitchen/bar staff
* Deal with complaints or problems with a positive attitude
* Issue bills and accept payment
* Take inventory and order supplies; ensure bar and tables are well-stocked with items such as napkins, straws, condiments, etc.
* Adhere to all food safety and quality regulations; Virginia ABC and Virginia Charitable Gaming Regulations
* Correctly handle cash, credit, and debit card transactions, ensuring charges are accurate and returning correct change to patrons; balance receipts with the cash register tape/record
* Maintain a clean work and dining area by removing trash, cleaning tables glasses, and re-setting serving utensils and other table items
Security: Must successfully complete a criminal background check and be eligible for $50,000 bonding.
Minimum Education and Experience: High School Diploma or GED equivalent; at least three years’ restaurant, bar, cocktail lounge experience preferred
Knowledge: No special knowledge requirements
* Positive attitude and excellent communication skills; can quickly respond to customer requests
* Hands-on experience in cashier duties
* Able to stand, walk, bend, etc. for extended periods, and lift up to 50 lbs.
* Proven restaurant serving or waitering experience
* Attention to cleanliness and safety