LINE COOK (Part-time) POSITION DESCRIPTION
Position Title: Line Cook
Location: American Legion Hopewell Memorial Post 146 - Hopewell, VA
Hourly Wage Range: $10.00/hr. and above depending upon experience and training
Responsible for preparing excellent meals for Post members and their guests. Follows instructions in cooking and delivering well-prepared meals. Must be deft in moving around the kitchen, apt in multi-tasking; works independently with a minimum of supervision, and is a self-starter. The goal is to help preserve and enhance the Post’s reputation for top quality service so we may expand our customer base.
Duties include, but are not limited to preparing meals by weighing, measuring, and mixing ingredients, cooking meals, checking ingredients for freshness, and arranging and garnishing the dishes. Ensure kitchen cleanliness; wash dishes, drinking glasses, eating and cooking utensils, pots, pans, etc. Ensure all kitchen equipment (e.g., grill, oven, cook top burners, etc.) are cleaned and checked after end of shift or the day as required by Health Department sanitation codes.
- Measure and assemble ingredients for menu items
- Check quality of ingredients
- Set up workstation with all needed ingredients and cooking equipment
- Prepare ingredients to use in cooking (chopping and peeling vegetables, cutting meat etc.)
- Cook food in various utensils or grillers and check food while cooking to stir or turn
- Keep a sanitized and orderly environment in the kitchen
- Ensure all food and other items are stored properly
- Monitor stock and place orders when there are shortages; maintain accurate food inventories
- Properly store food items at appropriate temperatures
- Rotate stock items as per established procedures and restock kitchen for subsequent shifts
- Ensure that the food prep area and kitchen are cleaned and sanitized at the end of the shift
Security: Must succerssfully complete a criminal background investigation and be eligible for $50,000 bonding.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED with additional documented culinary/food handling training
- At least three (3) years’ experience in food preparation and cooking in the restuartant industry
- Must have or can obtain ServSafe® Certification.
- Must know, understand and demonstrate how to use various ingredients, cooking techniques and kitchen equipment to quickly and efficiently prepare meals
- Strong knowledge of proper food handling procedures
- Skilled and experienced in preparing a variety of dishes from scratch
- Attention to cleanliness and detail in food handling
- Effective communicator; coordinates with other staff members to ensure smooth operations
- Able to create delicious entrees and side dishes
- Able to read and follow standardized recipes
- Able to work as part of a team in a busy kitchen atmosphere
- Able to multi-task and accurately follow written and/or verbal instruction